Coach P : what the fcuk!

You really want to know? Huh,huh, huH!

Friday, June 09, 2006

Ask me to name a lake

If you have grown up in India (most of my readers seem to be desis), you might say 'pulikat' or 'kolleru' or whichever one that you grew up "reading" about. It was the case for me while I was living there.

When I came to US, I went to Rapid City, SD. It was neither a city nor was it rapid by any stretch. When my plane (if you call a 20 seater a plane, sure) landed in the RC airport, I stepped out of it and looked around only to find land mass, large land mass. In the distance there will be black hills and ofcourse bad lands. Quite scenic and pretty, if you get used to the lifestyle or if you are forced to live there by style.

By the first weekend, we pretty much knew where the Hardy's burger joint was, where the nearest grocery store was and that everyone will have jump start cables in their car trunk. Even if you go in August when the winter is whole 2 months away, you will be advised to shop for winter boots. By the second weekend, you will make a grand trip to visit the president(s) - yeah, we ARE talking about Mt.Rushmore. If you are enthusiastic enough, the next weekend will be a trip to "Crazy Horse", on route you might be fortunate enough to be forced to wait for 2 long hours right on the farm route, because a chain of 40 American Bisons are taking their sweet time to cross the street (if you got real witty friends in the car, you might also get to hear the "why did the chicken cross the street" joke).

After doing all this, you wouldnt know where else to go. Then you decide to go anywhere scenic and pretty and boy was it ALL pretty. SD has got the most amazing naturally beautiful open spaces, black hills and lakes of vast expanse. On one of those random drives, we took a detour from the main highway and hit upon a majestic lake - named as "Pactola". I dont know why this vividly stuck in my mind as I went there more than 7 years back (will be 8 soon), and its dark blue shade reflecting the illustrious sun is a sight to watch. I wished that such kind of silence prevailed in everyone's life and it is one of the moments where you actually started to believe in giving peace a chance.

I made a mental note to visit that place again and was fortunate enough to do so, albiet 2 months late, when the thick of winter has started. It was sometime during december and we all decided to take the same detour to see this lake. What we saw is a sight that I can never forget. The dark blue water has turned into thick white sheets of ice, sheets so strong that there were trucks parked on it. The vehicle we went in wasnt equipped with chains, so we werent fortunate enough to drive on that solid water chuck.

There were people who got there in huge trucks and fishing permits and they drove miles into the lake. I was told that they can make a circular hole in the ice-mass of about 20" inches in diameter and wait to catch some fish. I thought it was the coolest idea since invention of light bulb. I made a mental note of doing the same myself, but never did.

Factually, there were many more gorgeous lakes around this region (and even more so in Minnessota), but this was the first still water body that caught my attention. Reason being, I come from Vizag, that can easily boast its pristine beaches and revelry in sun. My favorite way of biding time was just sitting on the light brown colored coarse sanddunes of the bay and hear the waves come and go. The wave patterns and the haunting sounds of wave splashing was what I was used to. So, this huge water body staying still and letting people to walk on it was akin to me being moses myself :)

The original intent (dating back to 30 minutes ago) was only to mention that I like lake Pactola, but turned out to be a trip down the foggy memory lane. Its not meant to be a tavelogue, so excuse me for giving really terse introductions to few good spots indicative of American natural beauty.

cheers
-P

2 Comments:

Blogger Twisted DNA said...

Must have been fun to visit an interior place like that. The only small town I visited was Tuscaloosa, AL. I only stayed there for two days but I loved the small town environment.

6/10/2006 4:16 AM  
Blogger Dr. Ally Critter said...

Talking lakeds, have you seen Canyon Lake in Austin?

Arlington is "small town big state" enough

6/14/2006 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home